Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day 105: Ugly Feet



Fragment: Only the secure can truly pretend
Font: Helvetica
Quoted: Dr. Jay to Lenore in The Broom of The System, by David Foster Wallace


"Most really pretty girls have pretty ugly feet"




I've realized that due to a downgrade in quality, the fragment is pretty had to read after uploading. I've made an alternate, below, with 85% black, over Registration (the one above is 95% over Registration, and it comes out just fine on my computer)
As with all fragments, click to enlarge.


When it comes down to serious business black in not really black. A strange quality of printing is that, in general, everything comes out darker than you see it on the screen... my guess is that this comes from the lighting of the screen. The exception to this rule is Black. In inDesign, there are two options, that look pretty much the same: Black and Registration. Black has CMY values of 0% and a K value of 100%, so in theory, it  is 100% black. Registration, on the other hand, has CMYK all set to 100%. It's telling the printer, "All jets on!" which gets you a rich, glossy black.

1 comment:

  1. I've found that if I save-for-web in Photoshop as a .png file, what appears on blogspot after the click-to-enlarge is what appeared in my Photoshop screen. But even the highest quality jpegs still get some blur to them, in case that helps on displaying more delicate pieces (I can just barely read the second version's right-side text).

    ReplyDelete